Changing emote icons in AVChat 3
This article no longer contains up to date information. A revised documentation can be found here.
AVChat 3 supports emote icons and you can add your own emote icons if you want to!
By default AVChat 3 uses the emote icons in the emoticonsstandardPack folder. The list of available emote icons in this pack is contained in emoticonsstandardPackemoticons.xml . You can edit this file to add and remove emote icons.
To add an emote icon to the standard pack:
- Put the emote icon file (swf, jpg, png, gif) in the emoticonsstandardPack folder.
- Edit emoticonsstandardPackemoticons.xml and add a new e element before the final </emoticons> tag:
<e text=”:newemoteicon:” url=”emoticons/standardPack/newemoteicon.swf”></e>
- Upload the new emote icon file and the changed emoteicons.xml file to your web site.
In the <e text=”:newemoteicon:” url=”emoticons/standardPack/newemoteicon.swf”></e> XML code:
- :newemoteicon: is the text that will be replaced in the text chat with the new emote icon
- emoticons/standardPack/newemoteicon.swf is the path to the emote icon
Some things you should know:
- AVChat 3 only supports 14x14px .swf, .jpg, .png or .gif files as emote icons.
- Emote icons larger or smaller than 14×14 will not display properly!
- Animated GIF’s are not supported (Flash Player limitation).
- You can also make your own pack with its own emoteicons.xml list file. The path to the emoteicons.xml file used by AVChat 3 can be changed from avc_settings.xxx via the emoticonsurl variable.