New AVChat 3 Build (603) Available
- Wowza Media Server compatibility (more on that in a later post).
- We switched to the AS3 You Tube API, which means you can now see more than 1 video in the chat. The You Tube controls had to change tough to something simpler! .
- The color of the Top Status Bar is now the same with the color of the windows.
- The user’s avatar is now shown in the Top Status Bar and avatars now have rounded corners. The radius is controlled via style.css (cornerradius property from the windows class):
- Avatars now keep their aspect ratio.
- Admins now have the ability to close rooms ( users can not join closed rooms ):
- The Rooms List now shows separate column for # of users in the room, the description (when available) is shown in parenthesis.
- Major modifications to the AVChat 3 Module for Drupal 6 (more on that in a later post).
- Added a red glow around the tab containing the last received message.
- Added check box to disable auto scrolling ( this will allow proper viewing of pictures and videos in crowded rooms):
- Revised upload system:
- editable filetype filters for security,useful variables are now sent to upload.xxx via GET (file size, file name, etc…)
- upload system is now independent of the default uploadedFiles folder
- you can modify upload.php to put the files anywhere on your web server).
- The admin interface (admin.swf) can now be fully limited to only the features of the user interface.
- Changed the color for the following text to red: USER requests permission to view your Webcam
- You can now control the width and height of the preview area for images (imagePreviewAreaWidthAndHeight in avc_settings.xxx)
- You can now translate the Loading Settings… message via the lstext flash var.
- Moved the Who Is Typing text box to the top so that it will not cover most recent messages
- added DOS protection to writeuserlist.xxx
- added functionality to make AVChat 3 work with a license key added to settings.asc
- several issues regarding the Community Builder integration inside the Joomla 1.5 Component
- added more missing texts to the language file
- issue with maxStreams limitation not working properly when autoStartOthersWebcams was on
- room names and text messages are now properly trimmed before they are created/sent.
- issues with rounded corners not scaling properly
- issue with the rooms-I-am-in counter not increasing when you were automatically dropped in a room
How to get the new AVChat 3 release
You can obtain the latest AVChat 3 build by downloading the software again ( using the download link from the delivery/trial email) and:
- doing a clean install
- overwrite all the old files including the FMIS/Red5 server side files and the translation files
Several intermediate builds were silently posted since the last major one so some of you already benefit from some of the above features. We have some cool new features in development, hopefully we will get a new build out with some of them in the following weeks.
19 thoughts on “New AVChat 3 Build (603) Available”
Hi, I noticed some blue lines around buttons in the chatroom that were not there before. Any hint on how to remove them or give them a different color?
The SEND (text message) and START MY WEBCAM buttons now are highlighted by default.
Some other remarks: the rooms list is too small for my localisation… adding a few pixels would help a lot. I like the styled top status bar, but I feel it is a little out of sync with the other windows. I have a bright red color and the top bar is a lot darker. I would suggest the option to use ‘clear’ the same color or use ‘brushed’ for all windows.
Other than that: great work!
illustration of the points mentioned before…
Thanks for the feedback, the topbar is intentionally darker to make it stand out.
You can delete some of my posts, but I also wanted to know if this versions works with red5 0.9 that was recently released. With one of the 0.9rc versions I had problems: when people disconnected from the room then the userlist got mixed up.
I have problems with Thumbnails… If they don’t saved on the same Domain…
Please send more details to firstname.lastname@example.org
Is there anyway of changing the youtube button to operate like a traditonal button instead of the current one time only use?
Octavian: i think this might be a bug. We’ll look into it for the next build! The text chat area will parse any YT links you post automatically, you do not need the button!
Is there a way to add more emoticons so people have more of a choice in the emoticon box?
Yes, you can edit emoticons/standardPack/emoticons.xml . There will be a more complete article on how this topic soon!
Is there any program, feature or addon that can allow an admin to kick people out of a chat room?
TO kick and ban users you need to use the AVChat 3’s admin interface! Screenshot here: http://avchat.net/avchat3screenshots/admin/avchat3alpha3.jpg
When a user in the chat room is kicked out due to loss of internet connection, power or something else the user is still logged into the room although in reality the user is not connected to the chat room or even the website. This is causing a stock pile of “ghost users” in my chat room. In other words users that are logged into the chat room but are really nothing but a frozen duplicate of the original user. Kicking them out of the chat room or deactivating their account does not work. How can I get rid of these “ghosts” in my chat room and even more important prevent it from happening further?
The “ghost users” issue is a known issue with all media servers. AVChat 3 has a functionality builtin that tries to disconnect such “ghost users” at about every 20 seconds. If you see a “ghost user” for more than 20 seconds please contact support so we can take a better look at your log files.
Our users love the new look of the AvChat 3.x
We are waiting for the new AVChat Instant Messenger to put in our site. I hope the project is doing well!
Thank you for the best video chat on the net.
Cant agree with Hector.
There are dangerous security issues, that I will not go in detail here. Also there are many bugs and useful/necessary features missing.
I hope they put ALL their efforts into removing the vulnerabilites from Avchat3, to fix the bugs and add missing features to MAKE Avchat3 secure and one of the best chats available. Currently it not safe to use it.
Cool post. I really like your idea and i think it would be useful for my projects.